Re: IML: 1968 Crown Convert spark plugs

Title: Re: IML: 1968 Crown Convert spark plugs
Having dealt with 440's since they were new, I will confirm the Autolite #85's are the plugs, not P or PP.  The platinum does absolutely no good and is a waste of money.

Henry

Christopher H wrote:
Tom,

I’ve never had good luck with Champions in Mopars, and this issue comes up here often enough with some Champion loyalists and then a bunch of us who swear by Autolites (#85 fits our Imperials).

Plugs are considered a maintenance item but they should last for years in a car that’s only occasionally driven. If they are clean and you’re not having a pinging or hot-running-up-hills problem, then maybe just switch to Autolites when the plugs need changing. I used to get about 5,000 miles from Champions before they would foul, and I honestly don’t remember when I put the Autolites in but it’s been at least 5 years.

As for modern plugs like iridium or even platinum, use them in your new cars or imports (I do), but never in a Mopar!

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon