RE: IML: 65 A/C Question..../ 1960 - a/c 12

RE: IML: 65 A/C Question..../ 1960 - a/c 12

>Steve,
>
>Don't know about the rules in the UK.  But in the US, the older cars used a
>refrigerant called R12.  The new stuff is called R134.  I personally still
>have R12 in my 67 but many other members have successfully converted to
>R134.
>
>Ken
>67 Crown 4 Dr Ht

R12 systems are generally pretty easy to convert to R134.

After the A/C on my '82 Imperial coupe failed I had a choice on what to
do... After a bit of research I decided to go for the conversion, as the
cheaper and easier option. I bought a kit at my local hardware store for
~$30 and did it myself.

To my surprise, it was easy, and the car still cools to this day without
having to top off the coolant. Even if I have to top it off once a year
I'll be happy. R134a refill bottles are far cheaper than a tank of gas, and
if you're only doing it once a year, who cares?

Some folks say that R12 systems aren't designed for R134 and that you'll
have problems. I can't speak on that point. It works great in mine. I've
spoken with many many people who have had the same results as myself.

Speaking from my own personal experience, I'd say go with the conversion.

Nat Hall
1982 Imperial Coupe
1987 Chrysler New Yorker