Re: IML: intake manifold

--- David Whitney <hazegreen66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The advantage aluminum offers besides trivial weight
> savings is the added heat diffusion properties of
> the material over OEM steel.

Great point, David!

The stock cast iron manifold (at least on the early
413's) had a wad of fiberglass insulation under it and
on top of the intake valley pan/gasket.  I was told
that this was to keep temps down and to avoid boiling
the gas in the carb bowls through conduction of heat.

I had problems with a car that didn't get the
insulation put back in on the first try...

The Edelbrock aluminum unit that I have for the
freshly rebuilt, "hot" engine I have sits high enough
to pass one's hand under with LOTS of airspace.  I
have not installed the engine yet (week or so away),
but I am guessing that the taller height of the intake
will neccessitiate an air cleaner housing change.

I am told that they make ones that sink down
around/over the carb  body to lower overall height.
The stock cleaner can also be a source of power
constriction - a 360-degree filter, although not very
original looking, may be another source of increased
breathing?

---

Speaking of carbs, ONE specific person likely to read
this owes me the one they promised me, so cough it up, OK?

Kenyon Wills