From: "Rob van der Es"
Subject: Re: IML: crankshaft pulley repair and an unstable idle.
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:40:31 +0200 (CEST)

Hey David,

Thanks for your very interesting post!
Especially the last part of your message make me read it twice :)

You see, I don't believe me eyes too when it comes to set the ignition
timing. When I bought the car last year I found the initial timing set at
16 degrees BTDC...
When I adjusted it back to factory specs (10 degrees) it runs NOT Ok.
I experienced a severe power loss so I set it back to the former 16
degrees setting.

So far so good, but how can I determine the real initial timing that is
set this way??
> From previous messages I have learned that the pully with the timing mark
on it must have slipped (maybe someone can explain how that is possible?)
on the balancer.

I still haven't found the source for an unstable idle, it is like someone
is playing with the accelerator pedal all the time (you know, like someone
that is impatiently waiting for a traffic light). Can this also have to do
something with the fact that the pulley has slipped at the harmonic
balancer?

I think a good start will to find the correct timing mark on the pulley
and to erase the old one.
What is the best way then to find the EXACT TDC of cilinder 1 ??
Is there a tool that I can use for this job?

Thanks,

Robert
Imperial Crown 4 door HT 1960