RE: IML: Drums to Discs

Tom,

At this point I do not know of any aftermarket ABS systems, or of anyone
adapting a production ABS to an earlier vehicle.  In the ?90?s some pickup
trucks came with rear ABS standard, with full 4-wheel ABS optional.  My ?96
Dakota has rear drums with ABS.  If I remember correctly there is a grove in
the carrier for an exciter ring that works with a sensor in the housing.  If
I?m right, there?s also a valve in the rear brake line that adjusts the
pressure to the rear brakes depending on the load in the bed.  I do not know
how the front ABS is setup.  But searching through a couple service manuals
would probably answer most of the questions.  I don't know what the GM or
Ford engineers came up with for their systems, or if it would be any more
adaptable.

As for adapting ABS to your ?68, that?s pretty much uncharted waters.  I
don't know how well the ABS "brain box" would adapt to the differently
weighed vehicle.  In theory it could be done.  Don?t know how well the
sensor and ring could be adapted to an 8 3/4" might be easier to adapt the
rear from a Ram to the car.  The 1/2 ton Ram would have the right wheel bolt
pattern, but you might need to narrow the rear.  The late model Rams have
rear disks as well, but I don?t know if any of the 9 1/4? rears came with
them.  My diesel has a Dana 70.  Some Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokees used 8
1/4" rears with rear disks and ABS.  I wouldn't use an 8 1/4" rear in your
Imperial, but those rear disks should have the same mounting bolt pattern on
the housing ends as the old 8 3/4" rear.  Some creativity would be required
to work with the 8 3/4" bearing adjusters though.

Rob McCall
?67 LeBaron, waiting for me to have time to finish the front disk brake
conversion (Budd to pin caliper).