RE: IML: 1962 Brakes and Parking Brake

As far as I'm aware the park brake is just that for parking if it holds the car on a slope it works if you drive with it on its easy to mess up the park brake lining as the power of the car can overide it and burn it up . As for the foot brake if the brakes are adjusted correctly (read the manual ) and bled correctly your brakes should be good and firm , my 63 and 66n are fine and so is my friends 62 300 H . I would not trust a dealer who gave me my car back with bad brakes as they just don't know what they are doing .

From: ghquimby@xxxxxxx
Subject: IML: 1962 Brakes and Parking Brake
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:31:28 -0400

Fellow Imperialists, I got the Imperial back from Chrysler dealer and the brakes went all the way to the floor; there was no pedal pressure whatsoever. They bled the brakes again and now the pedal goes half way to the floor before I get any pedal pressure. This is a new master cylinder and all new wheel cylinders. My mechanic suspected that it might be a problem with the master cylinder since it is different from the one originally on the car. Should he adjust the master cylinder rod, even though the FSM says specifically not to? I know this is unrelated but the parking brake requires no force whatsoever to go to the floor. It seems to prevent the car from rolling when itâ??s parked, but I accidentally forgot to disengage it when taking it for a test drive and it didnâ??t seem like it was stopping the car. What should working brakes and parking brake feel like on a 1962 Imperial? Iâ??ve never dared to drive this car above 10 mph. The car stops, but the pedal is soft, I'm just not sure the car will stop at higher speeds. Graham Quimby 1962 Crown Coupe PS â?? Iâ??ve been taking pictures as work has progressed on the car. Someday Iâ??ll post them on the web. If anybody would like to see them, let me know. Maybe somebody can tell me what the name of the color of the car is?