RE: IML: Imperial seat belts

Am I correct in assuming that in most places if equipment wasn't installed in a car at the factory, it can't be made a requirement later?

I'm sure it's on a state by state basis and I think we have that provision here although I haven't found the legal code yet.  The seat belt issue has come up in our household and led me to scramble one morning to get the back seat belts installed before taking passengers (the spouse didn't like the idea of not having belts "because it's the law").  I believe in using seat belts but chafe at the national trend for laws requiring them, which just causes this sort of extra stress.

Donn Reese
1960 Custom 4dr hdtp