IML: 64 Iml stereo speakers

My 64 Iml Cvt is still using the front and rear speakers for my stereo.  I added an after market stereo/cd player under the dash and my stereo sound is just the right and left channels.  I want to get a better sound without adding any visible speakers or chopping up the car.  I saw that another member made a panel to add speakers to the rear, behind the seats, but that would seem to inhibit the sound because it would have to travel through the seat backs.

My 60 Thunderbird Cvt had a single speaker that was mounted in the center console.  I recall replacing the speaker with one that has two speakers in the housing, somewhat smaller than the 6X9.  I was thinking of doing that to the rear and, somehow, adding a second speaker to the front so as to get true stereo separation.  But, I wonder if two speakers, basically side by side, will give me a right and left separation or would thy just blend together.

Has anyone effectively upgraded their stereo speakers without a major interior re-work and, if so, how'd you do it?

Jay D'Angelo
64 Iml Cvt
Las Vegas
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1964/jaydangelo/index.htm

All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC.  Get a free 90-day trial! Learn more!