IML: To flush, or not to flush?

I've already mentioned it, but i wanted a separate message to be sure people see it, I need some answers here.

The mechanic i talk to tells me that i shouldn't bother to flush the trans, because all the debris and particles will flush though the trans and it could cause more problems. He says it would be better off for me to simply drain what fluid I can, and put fresh fluid in, without flushing anything.

Opinions, thoughts, suggestions? Most of me thinks he's right but i thought i'd get another opinion. Flushing it sounds like it would be healthy, but i don't know what kind of junk is inside it, and i don't know if it would all flush out or not. Plus, flushing it means i'll be spending $250 for a shop to do it for me.

Thanks again
Matt