From: Frederick Joslin [mailto: fljoslin@xxxxxxxx]
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 22:16:03 -0500
Subject: Re: IML: I'll do it myself

Go to it Matt. You will be amazed how much your time is worth when you do stuff yourself. And how much satisfaction you can get.

I figure that when I do NON routine maintenance work on my car, which I include trans fluid changes, but not oil changes, I pay myself about $100/hr.
I onec replaced the power window mechanism in a 1990 Mazda Protege. It took me 20 min from start to finish. The dealer quoted me $200 to do the job! That was $600/hr.
I had a 1992 Grand Carvan which had a bad habit of going through axles after 150000 miles. I could do an axle change in 1 hour from jacking it up to jacking it down. There is also a way of doing this so you do not need a front end alignment.
When you own older cars, of which all Imperials are now, the more you do youself, the better off you will be financially but also "spritually".
Good luck