From: Imperial59@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:45 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Fire causes

The talk not long ago about the car fire has me wondering. What are >
the more common causes of fires in the mid 60's Imperials?

I have seen a couple of things that love to cause fires...

#1 Old high pressure power steering hoses. They get old and brittle from age and the extremes they see under the hood. The hose breaks and sprays power steering fluid all over the hot exhaust manifold. As if that wasn't bad enough the extreme high pressure that fluid is under tends to make a flammable "cloud" of power steering fluid under the hood. Power steering hoses and brake components are the first thing I replace on a new to me old car.

#2 Those pesky metal gas lines from the fuel pump to the carb. Chances are good that as some point in the cars life someone has managed to break that line and replace at least part of it with plain ol' fuel hose. The plain ol' (tm) fuel hose gets abraded on something or cracks due to age and sprays gas all over heavens half acre under the hood. Then comes the earth shattering kaboom and fire ball.

  Steve B.