Re: IML: Fire causes

Scott & Lise Scheuermann <SLScheuermann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The talk not long ago about the car fire has me wondering. What are the more common causes of fires in the mid 60's Imperials?
Probably the most common cause for an underhood fire in any late '50s through mid '70s Imperial is a ruptured high pressure power steering hose.  When the high pressure hose gives way, the fluid invariably gets sprayed all over the HOT exhaust manifold that it lives next to.

Hot manifold + power steering fluid = POOF!

Power steering hoses should be a routine maintenance item, especially if a car hasn't been driven in many years.

Thanks,

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron