Re: IML: Rear Axle Bearings

randalpark@xxxxxxx wrote:
In my experience, rear axle bearings always make a whopping sound. At least that is when I replace them. I don't know what they sound like once they actually sieze up, and start turning inside the axle housing.
Uh . . . well, let me just say it's not a sound that's pleasing to the ear.  LOL!

The rear axle bearings in my '71 Imperial failed just as I was turning into my neighborhood at the end of a 12 hour return trip from Carlisle, PA, in 2001.

The bearings were so bad that I couldn't get the axles out.  Robert Soule loaned me a special tool that he had made for this specific purpose, and it took a LOT of hammering to get them out.

I have pictures that I've been meaning to put on the website.  The bearings on the passenger side were completely demolished, and the driver's side were not far behind.  As best we could tell, the seals had been replaced some years before, and the bearings had NOT been lubricated at all.

As for the sounds . . . well, put a bunch of gravels in a tin can and then drag it down a gravel road.  That ought to be close.  ;o)

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron