Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 6:11 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Calling all engineers! Hitch system design help

Javier,

I owned a 1971 Imperial LeBaron 4-door and presently
have a 1968 Imperial Crown convertible. The '71 had
been fitted by the previous owner with a massive
"Reese" hitch. (I wasn't aware of the Reese brand
until a by-stander noticed the hitch and asked
incredulously, "What DOES he tow with THAT Reese
hitch?!")

I did no towing. However, the previous owner used the
'71 to tow a an extremely large boat. The '71 carried
an entire family and the boat to destinations in
Michigan and Florida at least once a year. The sand
and souveneirs I used to find under the seats bore
that out.

The hitch was visible from the back and sides of the
car. (That always bothered me.) It was made of massive
steel stock. It surrounded the gas tank on three
sides, and was welded and bolted to the car in at
least three spots. I wanted to remove it, but never
figured out how.

That hitch is probably still on the car, which is now
owned by Elijah Scott of Georgia. He uses it as a
parts car. Perhaps if you were to contact him?

Interestingly, I recently discovered that my '68
convertible also pulled a boat, and perhaps a parade
float or two.

I don't know for sure what type of hitch the previous
owner had used, but if you look under my convertible,
you can see mounting points that sure look like what I
saw with the Resse hitch on my '71, except someone has
taken a blow torch and removed the hitch.

I hope this information helps.

Best Regards,
Dave Duricy

--- "Javier, Bay Adventures"