IML: Temporary Gas tank fix

Most of you will think I'm nuts, but what has worked for me temporarily (10 years) on my former 64 Dodge Dart and my 53 Packard gas tanks that were full of rust was this:
1.Drop tank and drain
2. rinse the tank with water while banging it with a rubber mallet-do this several times until you see no or very little rust coming out.
3. Let tank dry thoroughly.
4. To eliminate the possibility of rust particles getting sucked up by the intake tube in the tank go down to the grocery store and buy a package of Chore boy COPPER(won't rust) brill scrubber pads-you'll only need one. 5.Gently tuck one of these pads under the intake tube in the tank so it can't move, but keep the mesh loose. This will keep any larger future rust pieces from getting into your fuel line.

This is assuming you cant push your finger through the tank because is so rusted. This method has worked for both these vehicles for 10 years and is still that way.

I know this is not the right way to do it, but if you're on a budget and you want to get your car on the road, it's worked for me!

Chris Strohmeyer
67 Imperial Convertible