Re: IML: an Fuselage cars (and coupes) under valued?

Re: IML: an Fuselage cars (and coupes) under valued?

For YEARS I was quite partial to the mid-60's ('65 - '68) C-bodies and Imperials, and bought my '67 LeBaron as it seemed to me the "ultimate _expression_" of that low, slab-sided look. As such, I was a little biased against the fuselage era cars, but I just didn't like styling from that era in general, nothing against the Imperials them specifically.

You have to drive them (or take a long ride in one) to really appreciate them.......

What changed my opinion was annual trips I took to Anniston in Chattanooga (great show/event by the way). Each year in the spring, I fly to Chattanooga, then ride the rest of the trip with Elijah Scott in his 1970 or 1971 LeBarons, both of which are extremely nice cars he keeps in tip-top running condition. Last year I was fortunate enough to drive one on the 2-3 hour trip to Anniston from Chattanooga. Hard to remember which one, they're both blue and SO nice.

At any rate, the responsiveness and performance of those cars really does belie their size. I took it on a combination of highway, and twisty country roads with full confidence, almost more than when I drive my '67. Elijah took it up/down some pretty steep mountain roads outside Chattanooga with agility that surprised me. Pretty capable for a car of that size/weight. And the "quiet as a bank vault" ride, is no less than that on my '67.

OK so the dashboard woodgrain isn't REAL claro walnut and the styling might not be as elegant to some as other Imperials, but spend some time in one and you'll come to appreciate their aircraft-like looks, and aggtressive stance. I sure did.

As much as I enjoy attending the Anniston show every spring (highly recommended by the way, I travel all the way from Washington, DC for it!) the best part is the road trip in a in a fuselage era Imperial LeBaron. Whether comfortably ensconced in the backseat with your head against one of the C-pillar "pillows," or behind the wheel, they're really something.

Mark (reformed fancier of fuselage Imps).