RE: IML: Fuselage cars

When the 1969 Imperials first showed up, I had almost the same instinctive
reaction that I had when I first saw the [new at that time] 1963 Chryslers
(no, the Imperial was still fine)-- I thought, "WHAT in gawd's name have
they gone and done NOW!?! Well, over the years they have grown on me- both
the '63 (and '64) Chryslers, and the '69 Imperials. I went from a very nice
'65 Imperial Crown (which was forced off of a freeway overpass unto the road
underneath after five end-over-end somersaults with my my bride-to-be in it-
the accident investigators said the car's tank-like construction saved her
from being crushed inside it) and THOROUGHLY totaled!) to a then 2
1/2-year-old '69 LeBaron 4-door (that wasn't missing even ONE of the offered
options) because we were about to be married and needed a family car, and I
was darned if I intended to be left without an Imperial- especially after
that accident! I bought it sort of grudgingly because I didn't like the
body-style much, but Imperials for sale were few and far between. It didn't
take more than a 2,000 mile honeymoon trip to fall in love with its comfort,
features (ah, that factory 8-track!), and performance, however. That car was
our family car for about 12 years and over 300,000 miles with no major work
ever needed on the engine, and no oil burned. It was a spectacular road-car,
and we gave it up with poor grace to a Tennessee salvage-yard in the late
eighties because it had spent most of its life being driven year-'round in
Minnesota, and we just couldn't keep up with the rust any longer. The
drive-train was still very good, though, and so was the interior leather.
The main thing that frustrated me on the road was the lack of a flat place
to put a tea-cup; all things considered, a small inconvenience compared to
the privilege of owning that car.
I thought at one time that I would never hear myself THINK it, but if I ever
found another '69 like that one at a time when I was flush with the stuff, I
would grab it in a minute, and drive it all I could.

Kristian Oyen

1963 Imperial Crown Southampton 4-door
1966 Imperial Crown Sedan
1967 Imperial Crown Coupe