Re: IML: 1972 Imperial GT Coupe - wheels

comparisons.http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submitYour
> 275/45/17 tire is another 3/4 in (20 mm) wider than
> the 255s, but about
> 2" less in diameter for about 7% speedometer
> error.The narrower tire
> diameter may also give a little more clearance
> because the tire is not as
> close to where the fenders curve over at the top.

Thank you.  I've spent about 20 hours researching
options and was using the Miata club calculator which
is similar.  17" rims are the first application that
has HP tires widely available, and the 20" that I
wanted are only really used by the modern 300 cars,
with very limited options, so I'm focused on that
diameter to keep my options open and costs down.

I think that the 72 has a different well than your 69.
 The 275 had gobs of room left over and looked really
mean because the lower height made for a much squarer
shoulder, and hence wider contact patch.

This is the wheel that I've chosen:

http://www.billetwheel.com/cgi/wheels.cgi?cmd=show_image&path=Traditional_Series&img=9&tn=1

-and I will have them supply a flat center lug cover
that I'll have anodized black after I drill it.  The
cover will get a matching 1966 large gas cap eagle
that will likely be spaced off the face.

The wheel manufacturer will be given all dimensions
and will do the design and offset.  Stock is centered,
and I presume that these will be the same, but will
rely on them to keep me out of trouble, since these
are questions that must come up regularly.

the 9.5 will go in the back (I hope) and expect to
have the same or 8's in the front.

Anyway, this thread is starting to wander away from
imperial information that anyone else here will derive
benefit from, so let's take it off-list if you'd like
to continue it.

-K

Kenyon Wills