Re: IML: oil pressure

It is over 60 at start up cold. Quickly drops off with 10/30 oil.Everything was as clean as I could get it. I pulled the relief valve already. Seemed to be clean and ok.

Robin Giesbrecht

From: sosmi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: oil pressure
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 01:05:30 +0000

That doesn't sound good, a fresh engine should have 30-40psi at idle(650-750RPM) with SAE30 oil. If you have a mechanical gauge on the engine, and your reading 10psi at idle, thats low.It's possible the relief valve in the oil pump has some trash in it, holding the valve open, thus by-passing the oil, and reducing the pressure.If the pressure is good at cold start-up(40-50) at idle,then drops off after warm up, then it's probably bearing clearance, it also could be excessive lifter bore clearance, but thats not too common.When you buy bearings they are SHOT GUN SIZED, they work, but in many cases they end up with too much clearance (.002-.003)We buy special bearings and can fit to exact specs.I hope you washed, and cleaned all components after machine work, they may look clean, but there is always grinding, and metal dust left in oil passages, and cylinder bores. It won't take long to destroy the engine, if it wasn't cleaned completely. Ya'll have a nice day, Dave

From: "Robin Giesbrecht" <robings@xxxxxxxxxxx>