From: R.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 8:32 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 1960 Starter Drags when Engine is At Operating Temp.

Thanks Paul for your sharing your knowledge!
As always to the point, and very helpful!

I will give it a try then and back off the timing a little, too see what happens.  The reason I gave it a little extra adventage is to compensate the slight power loss that you get when you convert an engine to run on LPG (or propane as it is called in the US).  You can do this safely because the octane rating of propane is much higher, so you don't have to worry about pre-ignition (spark knock).

Another reason for starter drag might be an internal seizure due to expanding of parts inside under influence of the heat, don't you think?

----- Original Message ----- From: <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 4:16 PM

My feeble mind says that depending on where the engine is when it
stops, > if the ignition is firing, pushing the piston down, while the starter is > trying to push it up the starter will drag. If too many pistons are doing > this at the same time, the engine will be difficult to crank. It can > happen when its cold too, but usually is more noticeable, and likely to > occur when the engine is warmed up. Over the years I have been in this > situation a number of times. Correcting the timing has reduced the load on > the starter.

My father actually once talked a guy he worked with into rebuilding
the > engine in a car that was doing the same thing, after he replaced the > starter. My father, who is a mechanical engineer, convinced the guy that > he had a spun bearing, and that the engine was going to seize, even though > the car ran fine once it started. The new engine didn't fix the problem. > Further discussion led to the fact that the guy habitually advanced his > timing, even on his new "long block" engine, a little bit past factory > specification to get a little extra "UMPHF". When he backed it off, the > problem went away.

As I have explained before, my knowledge is based on practical
experience. > I am not an engineer, chemist, or scientist. What I share has worked for > me. I road time my cars, I do not use a light. When they are too far > advanced, they spark knock, which is damaging to the engine. They can be > difficult to turn over, particularly when warmed up. There are several > different problems that can cause this same symptom. I am suggesting one > idea that might correct it.

In your shoes, I would back off the timing and see if the problem
went > away, before replacing the starter, especially since you know that the > timing is advanced..

Paul W.