Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Chrysler News

Then we could MAKE them bring back the Imperial, preferably as a limited production, fully loaded luxury car.  If it were me, I'd offer a 2-door, 4-door, convertible, AND a wagon.  And bring back that suspension!  I understand I've only had mine for a couple of days, but I've gone so many miles and the ride is to die for.  If I've said it a thousand times, I'll say it once, that my 1965 Crown can glide across washboard surfaces better then my mother's 2005 Mercedes-Benz.  She actually admitted it would, too.

However, there is a different perspective to selling out Chrysler, although I can't believe they're not making money.  My boss has a 2005 Town & Country (loves it), and those 300's are very popular here in the Chicagoland area.  There's some new Dodge wagon, I forget the name, that's popular here, too.  It's small, but tall.  Not including all the new Dodge Chargers I've seen.  I'd like to know how they keep the books.  Maybe Damlier sluffs all losses over to Chrysler division.  Who knows?  Anyway, if Chrysler folds, Imperials could be like Packards, i.e., extremely desirable and sought after.  I've checked E-Bay and even a parts car can be a few thousand, not to mention the cost of a restored one.

I'd hate to see what Chrysler did to AMC happen again.  When Chrysler bought AMC, they just wanted the Jeep Division, and, instead of trying to make the automobile area more viable, they just discarded it.  As with everything else, it probably all had to do with money, but, if I had been Chrysler at the time, I would have considered reviving the Nash and Hudson nameplates and targeted the mid-sized, $18,000-$28,000 price range.  But that's my opinion.

Currently, if Chrysler really is posting all these losses, one of the major shortfalls is not the product, but they don't make any inexpensive cars.  Since they dropped the Neon, do they have anything less than about $20,000?  It appears that the entire line-up of Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz is upper-middle to the sky's-the-limit.  What about the person who wants a new car, but can only afford $12,000-$15,000?  I don't think Chrysler offers anything like that right now.  As usual, Chrysler products have top marks in a lot of categories and the styling is phenomenal, but they're expensive.  They NEVER should have dropped Plymouth.  In that division they made great cars at price everyone could afford, albeit more than a Chevrolet, but a better car overall, too.

I apologize for rambling, but I don't want to see Chrysler fall, nor do I want to see it go into the hands of people that don't know what they're doing and cheapen the product.  Just as Volvo has the reputation for safety, Chrysler has always had the reputation for engineering.  It would be wonderful to see the legacy continue.

Timothy
1965 Crown 4 door

See what's free at AOL.com.