Re: IML: Chrysler News

What is populat in Chicago may not be the same for the rest of North
America.  Sadly, what people love is not always enough to break the minimum
sales needed to make money.

DC is keeping correct books - the problem is they are not selling enough
vehicles to make money.  Having enough vehicles on hand for 120 days of
potential sales should tell you that vehicle is not selling well. - 30 to 60
days is the accepted figure   And with lots full of so many unsold cars,
Chrysler is spending too much money on labour (slow the production lines
dowm to the sales rate), too mich on storage fees (those lots have to be
paid for) and too much interest on loans and insurance (Chrysler has to pay
the interest and storage insurance on those vehicles until they are
shupped).   And also too much money going out the door on low/no intrerest
loans (Chrysler has to pay the difference between what the buyer pays and
what the banks charge) and cash-back (pure profit out the window).

Chrysler has tied all its money and production into hemi V8 engines and big
trucks, SUVs etc.  And they are just not selling.  Chrysler all but
abandoned the auto market during the Holden era, and now the chickens are
coming home to roost.  Chrysler's auto mix is poor - some hi-perf vehicles,
a convertible, a compact hatchback and a mid-sized sedan.  No samll cars,
no basic economy vehicles, no family vehicles.  When the family-sized
Concorde, LHS and Intrepid were dropped and not replaced, Chrysler abandoned
over 300,000 prospectove car buyers.

Dropping Plymouth was a mistake - but a mistake that goes back to 1973.
Plymouth sales almost hit a million that year, and it seems Chrysler said,
"Well that was fun.  What do we do now?"  The Plymouth Sebring became the
Cordoba, no Diplomat/LeBaron version, no down-sised Gran Fury for two years,
no version of the GTS/Lancer. the Daytona/Laser, the Dynasty/New Yorker, the
Intrepid/Concorde, a Neon only after dealer pressure, and the Breeze after
even more dealer pressure.  Then nothing at all.   It took Chrysler 25 years
to kill Plymouth.  What a waste.

Hopefully the Imperial will proceed.  In that price range, and with the
underpinnings shared with the 300/Daytona/Msgnum, they should make money.

Bill
Vancouver. BC