Re: IML: power steering pump bolts O rings - returnability

Re: IML: power steering pump bolts O rings - returnability

Just went through this.

You'll love it.

The return hose mounts onto a "doghouse" that sits on
top of the PS box.  It is mated to the steering box at
a machined flat surface.  Where the surface of the

doghouse in any position besides exactly where it was,
you'll bias the box and the steering wheel will whip
one direction or the other until you reset the
adjustment nearly perfectly.  You might want to scribe
a line showing where yours is before you remove it.
You will have to test with the front wheels off the
ground for pull - or at least that's what I did,
anyway.

And the topper is that the dowel must seat precisely
into the sliding piece with a hole in it that's inside
the doghouse as you re-assemble, or you'll break one
of the tangs off when you tighten.  If it's not
re-assembling perfectly, DO NOT FORCE IT.  You will be
sorry.

The o-rings are a Mopar part.  You will want to get
the  right ones.  Ask me how I know.

I can give you the email address of a vendor here in
CA if you can't find them elsewhere.  The other two in
the bag go to the return hose piece that is bolted
into the dog-house.  In for a dime, in for a dollar,
so do those too.  Suggest you do THAT when the
doghouse is out.

Looked it up.  Doghouse is officially a "steering
valve body".

http://imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/120/page04.htm

You can see two of the seals here:
http://imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/120/page20.htm

The Pressure Control Valve is the cylinder that has a
vertical hole in it that the dowel goes into.

Here is adjustment:

http://imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/120/page22.htm
Get it tight and use a hammer and light tapping
motion.

I encourage you to read the entire booklet and make
certain that you comprehend what you're doing.  This
can be done, and it's easy once you've been through
it, but it's fraught with opportunity to do wrong, or
maybe you're quicker on the draw than I am.  I should
have read first rather than figuring it out on the
fly.

-K