Re: IML: 60 starter heat saturation

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Scott" <shelbyguy@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 60 starter heat saturation

Hi Robert and Kenyon,
I believe your advice about having the replacement starter rebuilt is sound. I've talked to a few car buddies here and there is a shop real close who supposedly does real good work on old motors, generators and the like. I'll probably end up having both rebuilt...just in case. Robert, I'll let you know what they do and how much it costs after I speak to them. Maybe we can work something out to get you a rebuilt starter after I have a spare. Thanx again guys...and Kenyon, I wish it was only the Imperial that had those sagging parts!!!
Tom
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob van der Es" <r.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 4:25 AM

Hi Tom,

I thought that I was the Dutchman here on the IML, LOL !!

Btw, I have exactly the same problems with my 1960 starter as you described.
Everytime the engine is hot after a long run and I have to re-start it, I
am sending out a special prayer to the Imperial Gods.
So far this worked for me, but I am sure that I am walking on thin ice here..
So I am looking for a good core to rebuild, you see here in my country no
one can do a rebuild of such a starter, because of the lack of spare
parts.
So I have to find me a good core that can be rebuild in your country.
As far as my knowledge goes I can use a 59 till 61 starter from either a
Chrysler New Yorker or an Imperial from that area.

I fully agree with Kenyon that you better have that starter rebuild (the
one that Bob send you) before putting it in your car. That way you avoid
that you are forced to a rebuild later on. After all these parts are
allmost 50 years old, so a rebuild wouldn't hurt.

Question to anyone on the list: what usually is included with a rebuild of
this kind of starter motors? The solenoid, brushes, bearings ?

Thanks,

Robert