IML: distributor timing

Hi all, I need a clarification on timing with a light on my 67 Imperial 440.
When at idle with the vacuum advance disconnected I get a steady strobe image on the 6 degree before mark. However, if I rev the motor to a steady say 1500 or there abouts the mark moves but doesn't hold rock steady..it jumps around a little bit about a half an inch.

If I hook my advance back up and rev to full advance it advances but doesn't hold steady. Should these readings be ROCK steady or close to rock steady?

As some of you probably know, I'm still have an erratic running engine that comes and goes as it pleases. The distributor I replaced from Kragen's (I know I'm going hear it about that) because of this problem but it's still there. A mechanic told me the "new" one could have a bad vacuum advance and or sticking or improper tension advance springs.

What should I look for?

Thx,
Chris Strohmeyer
67 Imperial Convertible