Re: IML: 65 Electrical woes

The reason I'm not positive about what happened, other than him hitting the carb with a wrench, is that I was inside the car trying to shut it off, thinking that I might not have turned the key all the way to the stop position.  I've tried to follow any cables or wires near the carb and they all appear to be fine and well connected.  I'm going to do more work on it this weekend, obviously, using the FSM and see if there's a glitch someplace.  All the advice I've gotten has sure given me places to look and I really appreciate it.

As far as the carb itself is concerned, the problem lies in the flap on the top.  That flap is supposed to open when you hit the accelerator.  Mine will open manually, but not with the accelerator.  The previous owner told me I could get a kit at just about any parts store and get the flap.  Personally, I'd like to repair the one that's there because it looks just fine.  In the FSM, there are 3 different carb types, and I'm guessing, since it's an Imperial with the largest engine produced by Chrysler Corp. that year, that it's the AFB Series Carter Carburetor.  I haven't dug into it yet, as this electrical issue happened.

It still astounds me that the car got 16.67 MPG on the highway, with 89 octane gas (mine clanks and whines with 87),  with that flap not working properly.

Since I'll be working on it this weekend, any additional help will be greatly appreciated.

Timothy Callaway
1965 Crown 4-door

Quoted from a previous post:

> I'm surprised the red one ends up under the a/c.  The negative cable
> (usually black) is terminated somewhere around the a/c compressor.  It
> hooks directly to the engine.  Is this cable connected to the negative
> terminal on the battery?

I'm in the process of stripping a 66 Chrysler Town and Country wagon.  It
has factory A/C.  At some point in the past 40 years the negative battery
cable was replaced.  The cable used was red.  It is bolted to the engine
using the forwardmost intake manifold bolt on the driver's side of the
engine.  Well, actually, not intake manifold bolt but the one forward of
that.  It's another threaded hole in the cylinder head, one used to hold the
a/c compressor bracket to the head.

As for the positive cable, I have yet to see one go directly from the
battery to the starter relay.  Someone is thinking FoMoCo.  On every Mopar
I've worked on the positive battery cable (defined as the thickest + cable)
goes directly to the starter motor.  However, a fairly large wire does go
from the battery positive terminal to the starter relay.  Another largish
wire then goes from the relay to the starter.  So the starter relay handles
only starter SOLENOID current; starter MOTOR current is handled by the large
cable going directly from the battery to the starter.

I sounds to me like the main fusible link on the 65 melted at the same time
the carburetor was attacked.  Possibly the wiring harness on the inner
fender got moved during the attack ;-)

Pete in PA

See what's free at AOL.com.