From: jsadowski@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 2 May 2007 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 65 Electrical woes

If it has the original positive cable, it should have a clamp about midway that connects to the starter relay. I have a couple of spares that are still complete. When the positive cable goes bad, most folks seem to cut it at that clamp & run a new cable from the relay to the battery & left the other section to the starter intact. I think this style is from 61-66.
John
----- Original Message ----- From: "Pete Engel" <peter.engel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 1:48 PM
Subject: IML: 65 Electrical woes

Quoted from a previous post:

I'm surprised the red one ends up under the a/c. The negative cable
(usually black) is terminated somewhere around the a/c compressor. It
hooks directly to the engine. Is this cable connected to the negative
terminal on the battery?

I'm in the process of stripping a 66 Chrysler Town and Country wagon. It  has factory A/C. At some point in the past 40 years the negative battery
cable was replaced. The cable used was red. It is bolted to the engine
using the forwardmost intake manifold bolt on the driver's side of the
engine. Well, actually, not intake manifold bolt but the one forward of
that. It's another threaded hole in the cylinder head, one used to hold the
a/c compressor bracket to the head.

As for the positive cable, I have yet to see one go directly from the
battery to the starter relay. Someone is thinking FoMoCo. On every Mopar  I've worked on the positive battery cable (defined as the thickest + cable)  goes directly to the starter motor. However, a fairly large wire does go  from the battery positive terminal to the starter relay. Another largish  wire then goes from the relay to the starter. So the starter relay handles  only starter SOLENOID current; starter MOTOR current is handled by the large
cable going directly from the battery to the starter.

I sounds to me like the main fusible link on the 65 melted at the same time
the carburetor was attacked. Possibly the wiring harness on the inner
fender got moved during the attack ;-)

Pete in PA