Re: IML: What can I do to prevent vapor lock in hot weather?

There are a few things to do, that should help. As far as fuel line insulation, I've used a refrigeration line insulation called " ARMAFLEX" it comes in 6' lengths, and can be ordered for 5/16-3/8" lines. We insulate, from the fuel tank, to the fuel pump, and to the carb on our race cars. You may also install a thicker carb to manifold gasket(1/4") thick That can help prevent fuel boiling in the carb.Another, more difficult solution, is to install restricters in the exhaust cross-over passages in the intake manifold gasket. It's also important to make sure the exhaust manifold heat riser valve is working, or better yet locked open.The later model cars had fuel filters with small return lines, these were for vapor return to the fuel tank, this was to prevent the vapor lock situation. Hope this helps,Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: nicholasadamo@xxxxxxx
Reading the recent posts about the 67 Imperial that had trouble running at idle after a hot start brings to mind hot starting problems I have with my car.

I'm sure in my case it is probably vapor lock. I've had the fuel lines routed away from engine and exhaust heat, I've had the starter replaced and I have a new Edelbrock carb. The car is hard to start when it is good and warmed up on a hot day. It always starts eventually, but sometimes it takes a bit of cranking and waiting. This does NOT make a good impression on any onlookers nor does it impress people at car shows.

I was wondering if there is any kind of insulation or insulating tape that can be wrapped around the fuel lines as a further measure to keep heat away.