From: a1web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, 12 May 2007 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Brake Drum Removal - 2 questions addressed

Thank you for your advise its all very good. First off the minute I heard what i thought was metal on metal in the rear I parked the car. So I am pretty sure there is no grove. Like i said i have applied all the advise that has been given to me. I have a impact wrench, i used it for so long that i feel Ive weekend the wrench. i don't see how the brake would be keeping the drum on since the wheel spins freely. i have backed off the adjustment screws. i welcome your help though bro i am curios at this point on how and what is keeping this drum from breaking free. i live in Santa Rosa ca. 3774 Kansas dr. i would like to meet another chrysler person in person. i never have. i have never even seen a car like mind in the 20 years ive had this one. It only has 40,000 miles on it . It had 26,000 when i bought it.

Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Mark,

If your shoes are metal on metal, you have a potential
problem. If the shoes were run that way for awhile,
they might have gouged out furrows in the drum surface
that would result in a trough that the shoes sit in.
The wheel would spin freely, but the shoes would be
inside of the gouge with a lip that would hook the
edge of the brake pads that will keep the drum from
sliding off. If the XXX is the shoe, you can see how
the "wall" of metal (I) would prevent lateral motion
if the shoe were down inside a valley that it had
carved for itself.

I IXXXI I
I IXXXXXI I
I___________I
I___________I

I presume that there is no hydraulic fluid in the
line, but cutting the flex hose and releasing any
pressure would be one step that should not be
overlooked.

There is an adjustment port on many models that has a
star-wheel. These things get crudded up and often
don't work well to back off the adjustment, but the
star wheel or whatever adjuster there is to move the
shoes closer to the drum should be backed off.

Jumping off the roof is pretty inventive. I'm sure
that you're one of the few people alive that has that
in their resume, since it's pretty unorthodox, but my
hat's off to you for coming up with that one.

When you jumped on the breaker bar, you applied one
strike on the threads in your attempt to spin the
center part of the puller.

This is opposite of how I see the tool being used
best.

I suggest that you throw away that dog-bone extension
that you use with a hammer, and skip using all hand or
manual tools. Move to a pneumatic or electric impact
wrench. I have a crappy, old one that pulls these
things off for me just fine, but there are newer,
expensive ones that put out at least 1200 foot-pounds
of torque:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&N=2984+3918&cm_mmc=hd_goog-_-SearchRedo-_-D-25X-_-bid20767702-impact_wrench

These would presumably be rentable, so a visit to your
local commercial tool rental place would be in order.

The deal here is that the rotary wrench will apply
repeated blows over time. You can sit and hold the
trigger for 10 minutes if you have to, and apply
hundreds of pounds of repeated blows in a very tight
sequence. You can also repeatedly apply the pressure
in a consistent way if you take breaks.

I'm not much of a fan of the heat solution, but if
you're holding the wrench and driving it while your
buddy applies heat to the drum near the hub, you'd
presumably expand the drum faster than the steel
spindle. The blows would also work on any rust that's
in there, breaking it free that way.

Lastly, if the drum isn't removable, the axle
certainly is, and at some point or another, you're
going to have to make a decision. There are enough of
this low-wear item around to make a replacement a
viable path around something that you just can't get
removed.

Mark, I'm in your area and my offer to help remove
your drum removal stands. I've done about 15 axles
worth so far, and will help you if I can.

sorry it's hanging you up so.

-K

--- Mark Battesby wrote:

Hi Don I live in california the northern area 60
miles north of san francisco. This is my second
puller I snapped the first one in half after I put a
extention bar on it and jumped off a ladder on it .
200 lbs from five feet . I have banged on it so much
that I probably have damaged it . the rear brakes
are on metel to metal so untill i change the shoes I
really cant drive it. If i releast the e-bake the
whell does spin . should i have it in gear or does
that make a difference ?

DON SAVARD wrote:
Put the Hub puller as tight as you can without
breaking/busting anything. Jack up the affected
wheel and leave it alone. Check it once a week and
retighten as necessary. Like Morgan Freeman said on
Shawsank Redemption" Geology is a science of time
and pressure". You are trying to break something
free that has been setting up for years if not
decades. Give it "time and pressure" and it will
ultimately "pop" off. When all else fails-time and
pressure. You've had this car for 20 years and it is
an Imperial which proves you have patience. Don't
get impatient yet. In what state (besides
frustration) do you live?
Imperially
Don Savard