Re: IML: gas types

For Patricia and all with fuel issues. I use 89 in the Winter and only use 91 When I am driving up long grades like when I leave the desert. I also use it when towing, 91 that is. I also will adjust timing and you must listen for any pinging. Especially the closed chambered heads, 67 and older. I installed open chambered heads to help lower compression some and get rid of the two flame travel issues with the older heads. The weather, especially Summer, is where I have the most concerns. And using Air conditioning. The 61 Imperials for example, have a 22 inch radiator. That was not enough for the low desert. I installed a 28 inch radiator. No humidity does not help either. Their is another problem with the Imperial engines. Cast pistons instead of forged pistons. The cast ones will burn #6 real easy if the pinging continues, especially on an uphill, long climb. I have had it happen twice. Why I mentioned #6 is because it is the cylinder with the leanest mixture. The design of the early 413 manifold was the culprit. The wedge 426 suffered from the same fate. I have 2 of the 426's and the same #6 would burn a 2 inch hole thru the piston. This happened back in the 60's with a higher rated octane fuel. Joe Machado

-----Original Message-----
From: Patricia Pruitt
Sent: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:19 pm
Subject: IML: gas types

We are in the throws of working on my ’62 Southhampton Crown.  In the ‘old’ days when we had 50s-60s high compression engines (’56 Plymouth Fury) that were supposed to use on high octane fuel, we always used ‘regular’. We did adjust the timing for that.
 NOW, my query is; can we still use this method or must we buy ‘premium’?  I am not familiar with the changes in the composition of today’s fuels.  Does anyone out there have the facts on this? We do not use ethanol and are not likely to do so in the future.  Would like to hear from those in the know.

Patricia  Pruitt
Bozeman, Montana 59718