Re: IML: 51 Imperial Fluid drive

Greg,

The engine idle speed needs to be set correctly in
order for the upshift to take place smoothly in the
semi-automatics. If it is too high, upshifts are harsh
and loud.

Awkward upshifts can also be caused by a sticky and
dirty governor switch - which is easily accessible
when you remove the floor plate.

The IML website has excellent vintage brochures about
semi-automatic transmission operation, maintenance and
repair. They've helped me many times with the Tip Toe
Shift in my '50 DeSoto.

Incidentally, your Imperial probably has FluidTorque
Drive mounted ahead of Fluid-Matic (the semi-auto was
called by many names). It's the Fluid-Matic part that
is the gearbox and does the actual magical shifts.

Best Regards,
Dave Duricy

____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.