From: YBSHORE@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 11:18 am
Subject: Re: IML: '55-'56 seal/gasket/spring

In a message dated 6/9/2007 1:02:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, HemiDriver@xxxxxxx writes:

Guys...

It isn't a seal, it is a fiber washer that fits around the bolt.  Drive the bolt out from the bottom of the canister.. Clean the canister and the "innards." Put new fiber washer on bolt and reassemble.

Imperialists:

    I am aware of both the seal at the bolt head end of the canister-to prevent oil from being pushed out that orifice,  and the gasket at the flanged canister to the block end, to prevent leaks from the bottom of the canister at the block, however, there is a spring which slides on the bolt within the canister and above the filter which I would think pushes the filter back toward the block.  This spring mechanism is in the '56 but not the '55.  Should it be there or not, for without it, there seems to be play within the canister and no true filtering, just the oil washing by...

Jack

See what's free at AOL.com.