Re: IML: front end height question of 1960 Imp

Re: IML: front end height question of 1960 Imp

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your clear answer (as always)!

You have made me think twice if the sitation has always been there, and the whole situ is just my imagination..

The car sure handles great, even on bumpy roads so I am sure nothing is broken, and since the car is still equal left and right it would be a very strange thing that both anchor bolts are at fault at the same time.

It wouldn't drive and handle like it does, which is perfect, on bumpy roads if something mechanical was wrong I think. I only think the front end is lower then it was when it came from the factory and when I bought it 2 years ago.

Maybe you and others on the list with a 60 can give me some measurements of their cars front bumper: when you look at the lowest point of the front bumper (where the license plate is attached), how far is it actually from the floor??

Then I will know for sure if my front end is really too low, maybe we should measure at some other specific points too (on a flat road ofcourse) to be sure if the height is correct or not.

I must admit however that  the rear is a little too high at the moment..
The previous CA owner of the car has fitted Monroe Max Air shocks (http://www.monroe.com/products/mp_detail.asp?cat=0&detail=Max%20Air

I have raised the pressure a little too much maybe, just to compensate the weight of the two propane (LPG) tanks that are fitted in the trunk. I don't have any vibrations btw at any speeds.

So I hope that the 60 owners on the list can give me some good measurements at specific points to determine how far their front bumper is away from the floor.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:33 AM
Subject: Re: IML: front end height question of 1960 Imp

Nothing about what you did to jack up the car should have effected the height. If anything, it should have sat a little high at first, and then settled once it sat for a while or was driven.

I am concerned about this change, since these things don't happen by themselves. If the front end is bottomed out, it is possible the the Torsion Bar Anchors have broken. I wouldn't think they both do it at the same time, but I guess anything is possible on a 47 year old car. The anchors are at the cross member under the transmission. If you are able, you should read the FSM Front Suspension section thoroughly.

I had this experience with my '65 Imperial back in the late '70s, but it only happened on one side. You should be able to tell if your front suspension is working by driving the car and feeling how to reacts to dips in the road way. I have no trouble myself determining this when it happens to my own cars, but without driving your car, I can not diagnose this for sure.

Are you positive that the car wasn't at this level before? If the rear end height is too high in relation to the front, you may also notice a vibration at around 35 mph due to improper drive shaft angle. If there is a vibration now and there wasn't before, then something definitely has changed.

The torsion bars are adjustable, but that can only be done if the anchors are in good condition.

Keep us posted on this Robert!

Paul W.