IML: XN28D+ / steering wheel restoration

IML: XN28D+ / steering wheel restoration

I woke up this fine day thinking about "my" 58 Imperial and feeling really positive and optimistic. I have the glimmering of a plan to save it from oblivion and that's always a good way to start any day. I think the key to the whole thing is the steering wheel. Finding one in good condition is not going to be easy and getting this one restored is going to be expensive. So, that's the thing to get taken care of first. I can lay hands on everything else and have ridiculously good offers on everything else the car needs, way to good to pass up. I don't have all the money to hand I'm going to need but I do have enough to get started on the steering wheel, if I can find a place to fix it.

If anyone here has had this work done, please let me know where and what I should expect to pay. I call some places from the internet but no luck so far in even getting a quote.

I'm off to get a 1924 fire truck and 1929 Ford Model A, our museum's biggest revenue makers, into the shop today for important, donated, repairs. I am percolating some ideas on obtaining some money for the Imperial. This sounds awfully crude but the small non-profit I work for does not pay me anywhere near enough to be able to fix up the Imperial, which it actually owns, so it is actually part of my job to see if I can raise funds for it. (And if that sounds like circular reasoning, so be it.) Me, I am going to XN28D+ which is to say accentuate the positive. Life's too short and far less fun living without an Imperial.

Hugh Hemphill
58 Imperial
San Antonio, Texas