Re: IML: wiring harness

Dan,
   I removed AND replaced the metal superstructure of the dash in
my 69 with a 70/71 superstructure, when it was 2 years old.
FORTUNATELY, the wiring dash harness was still available from
Chrysler and I ordered one with ALL of the OPTIONS on it and was
able to upgrade with original BRAND NEW Chrysler ordered parts
for the options which were needed to fullfil what I wanted.   (I
also ordered a new fully optioned engine wiring harness.  I did
need to give the built date of the car for that.)  PLEASE
NOTE!!!! BEWARE OF ERRORS in the wiring diagrams!!!!  In the 69
FSM there is an error at the headlight switch. The parking lights
(PINK?) wire and one of the multiple battery feed (RED) wires are
transposed.  When I first connected the harness I had constant
parking lights.  It was an easy fix to pop them out and clip them
into the proper holes.  Check with other owners if they have
found errors in the wiring diagrams and be VERY familiar with the
terminals on the devices versus the continuity of the assosciated
wiring.
   In regards to finding the proper wiring, you can find a
multitude of proper guaged and proper base coloured auto wiring
from many electonincs houses.  If you should need to add a
tracer, you can use a perm proper coloured felttip marker.  Use a
6 inch piece of 1/8 inch copper tubing with the ends slightly
flared out, as to not damage the insulation. Make a hole in the
center and half-way through it for the marker tip to be placed
in.  Staple or firmly clamp the tube to a flat surface (like a
1x2).  As you pull the wire through the tube with the marker in
place and you will have a proper coloured wire WITH the proper
coloured tracer.  The biggest problem you might find it locating
the wiring terminals.
   In many cars the wiring may have become dislodged and become
warn or frayed.  This happened to my 92 Grand Voyager.  I am
still looking for the problem with the A/C and backup light
curcuit - 2 years later.  So, IF you are going to the touble of
re-doing the dash wiring, ALSO remove the engine wiring harness
and CLOSELY check it over.  You may need to re-wrap it also.
   I do hope this helps.  As you can tell, I enjoy the electrical
/ electronics portions of our cars and have repaired many
associated. problems.

Æyn