Re: IML: Re:airconditiong/retrofit

Whoever told you the condensor needs to be changed
should be looked at with suspicion.  They would appear
to be unfamiliar with the overbuilt, high capacity
nature of the AC system on a '66.  An R-134 retrofit
should be a straightforward procedure.

For best performance, the only alteration to consider
is to remove the EPR valve from the back of the
compressor and install an adjustable thermal
compressor clutch cut-off switch.  That is because
R-134 will easily take the evaporator temp down below
freezing and the thermal switch can be adjusted to
keep airflow around 34 degrees.  The stock EPR valve
is not completely happy with R-134 and might not
provide cold enough air if you live in a very hot
climate.  That is the component that restricts flow,
not the condensor.

Chris H.