IML: Overseas/out-of-USA Shipping notes

--- Jim Carpenter <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi all, just want to make sure you all know that I
> can help avoid
> international shipping woes as we are a Canadian
> Company that does our
> own cross border transport

Jim, that is a really super, positive thing to offer
the club and to inject into the discussion.  We sure
do have a diverse, deep group of good people!

People selling parts specialize in selling parts, and
shipping items out of the continental US is terribly
challenging and viarble to do RIGHT.  I sell things on
ebay, and while I want to do right, I frankly don't
devote myself to being an international shipping
expert - just not enough time in the day.

So: I can either ship however I can figure it out and
get yelled at for expensive shipping, or I can decline
to allow ebay bids from other countries and receive
complaints that I'm blocking people that REALLY
desperately want my items and why am I not offering to
ship to them?, etc.

USPS recently eliminated "Surface" transport overseas,
jumping the price significantly for heavy things like
heads and manifolds.  -Had a person in Britain get
hopping mad when I refused to ship "surface" (because
I can't) and the price was triple what he'd paid just
12 mos earlier for something similar.

Shipping a bumper or fender?

If you live overseas, you'll do well to find yourself
a postage buddy here on the list or elsewhere and ship
to them OR do the legwork to find a freight
forwarder/logistics firm that can help you.

I use Sierra in South San Francisco, but didn't see
them on a casual google search...  Companies like this
are often clustered around major airports.

Greyhound is the secret for transporting heavy items
in the USA - they're cheap, and the hold on each bus
is big enough to swallow a bumper.

If you order anything that is more than you can hold
easily in one hand, you're in for some serious trouble
if you leave it to the seller to figure out.

By the way, DHL has been very hungry lately, and you
could do worse than to get a quote from them.

Suggest that you bookmark the shipping calculator
pages for DHL, FedEx, UPS, and the US post office.

Post Office is USPS.gov

Get a quote from these vendors FIRST as you consider
purchasing your part, and educate yourself on what you
need to get things to you.  Most vendors don't care
and will take requests, so perhaps making requests
makes more sense than trusting businesses to make the
right choices for your needs?

Hooray for folks "elsewhere" that keep their cars
ticking.  It's hard enough to do here at "home".

Kenyon Wills