Re: IML: When is it original and PRICE GUIDE

Re: IML: When is it original and PRICE GUIDE

As far as guides go, they're great, but even the best of them aren't really what a seller needs to sell his/her car NOW. They're simply compilations/averages of PAST published ASKING prices and limited actual SALE prices (most of which are unknown among private collector-car transactions).

Since no one on earth knows what "the market" is at any given time for any particular car (unless one polled every prospective car buyer on the planet) the quickest, most reliable (or least UNreliable) method is a worldwide auction in realtime, for an extended exposure. That method is, of course, a 24-hour/7-days a week computer auction like Ebay, which sharpens the market signals even further by adding the dimension of demand through bidding.

This is why I l've listed my 1964 Imperial convertible there.

Auto collector and trade magazines, classified ads, and other outlets have very limited readership numerically (unfortunately) and don't represent at any moment what the market actually is. Plus the seller can only publish FIXED prices that may be too high or too low, and is stuck with that price for the duration of the contract. An Ebay auction let's the seller adjust pricing (within certain limits) and   to the extent Ebay reaches millions of potential autobuyers worldwide, provides a more realistic "snapshot" of the market. These advantages work in reverse favorably for potential buyers.

When this 10-day auction for my convertible ends Tuesday I'll have a better, though not perfect, idea what the market is for my Imperial - than from any publication on the planet.

And no, I don't work for Ebay:)

Rex Allen