Re: IML: PRICE GUIDE

I have to question the value or accuracy of guides such as Nadaguides.

I have just looked at the guide for my car and believe the high value is around $20,000 short!

I have based this on my own analysis of the market and similar cars, I also checked the roadster version of my car and saw that nada high value was some $25,000 less than the price being asked for the only one currently on the open market (there are probably no more than 6 roadsters in the world).

I have sent the following e mail to nadaguides :- "I have just looked at your price guide for 1929 Chrysler Imperial L Convertible Coupe and am very interested in knowing how you reached these prices? There are no more than 4 of these cars in existence none of which have been for sale this century"

if the reply ... if I get one is relevant I will post it.

Maybe the guide has more accuracy to more prolific models, but as it stands if I was to sell my car i would stand to loose potential purchasers if they looked at the guide and assumed it was correct.

My experience of e bay would also question its value as accurate guide as it makes the assumption that any potential purchaser will have access and will be looking at the site over a given period of time.

I advertised my 1931 Chrysler CD de luxe with a one off custom 4 seater Drophead Coupe body by Carlton (a well known English coachbuilder) on e bay - US - the first thing that happened was that e bay suspended my account and told me that someone was misusing my account - they could not understand the concept of an English account holder wanting to list an item on the US site! it took over a week to get the account reinstated as it is very difficult to contact e bay if they have cancelled your password! it also never occurred to e bay to contact me to verify the listing before cancelling... yet they seem to have no interest in dealing with the fraud which is rife .

Anyway the car was about $10000 below my reserve price at the end (and as the vendor I was able to see who was the high bidder at anyone time and was interested to note which traders were bidding) Within a month of the listing I sold the car privately for $14.000 more that it reached on e bay, $4000 more than the reserve I had placed.

Regards

Nigel Plant