Re: IML: Factory Jokes

Your father sounds like an agreeable fellow. Those line workers, on the other hand...Japanese auto workers in that era would probably have been subjected to secret cane beatings for such hooliganism.
From: ChiPieAlandPaula@xxxxxxx
Hello All,
 The thread about the Frank Sinatra edition  put me in mind of an incident that happened in 1971. As many of you know - my father was a confirmed "Imperial man". He took delivery of a 1971 forest green with white vinyl roof 4 door Le Baron. As a road salesman  - he took his new possession out to ply his business. Since it was summer - and I was home from college - I was expected to accompany him. For the first few days I noticed an annoying rattle in the left rear door. No amount of owner adjustment ( that is banging on the door ) alleviated the problem. We were in Cape Girardeau Missouri when the rattle become soooooo annoying -  I took the car to the local Chrysler dealership.
 I watched the service technician takes the door apart. He handed me a note with a "church key" attached to it. ( for you younger members accustomed to "pop top" cans - a church key was used to open cans) The note read ".. Hello from the line workers building your Imperial.." Dad's reaction was to laugh. My reaction was to send a letter to Chrysler. Since I was not the owner - I bowed to my dad's wish. Considering our 1969 was delivered in appalling condition - and - the 1973 that followed had a totally inoperative HVAC system - I  wonder if these owner complaints had been addressed - what the outcome for Imperial might have been?  Maybe Imperials could have continued in uninterrupted production?
                                           Allan from Billings, Montana