Re: IML: what's YOUR car's name?

One more? Okay!

The original Imperial, a honey gold '73 4DHT: Silent Bob, after Kevin Smith's movie character (and because I'm Jay, according to my daughter . . . )

The sterling silver '81 coupe: Kate, because she was rescued from Gulfport after Katrina (thanks, George!) and may one day run the roads again, despite having been under eight feet of water; the engine is redone and a new trans is in her future.

The lesser Mopars have names too:

The nightwatch blue '87 Fifth Avenue: The Blue Bomb.

The (retired) grey '85 Fifth Avenue: Baby Flattop, because he shared the driveway with larger cars. Contributed a transmission and blue velour interior to the Bomb; Baby's 318 was transplanted into Kate, so he did not die in vain. Good thing that donor card was filled out!

The newest one, a Valiant, also honey gold, also a '73, but a sedan: Hal, after the originator of the Prince Valiant comic strip.

And Dodge Van Damn (retired), a '93 forest green Caravan that hauled my kids to innumerable band practices, scout meetings, dance lessons, &etc before developing a regrettable head-gasket-blowing habit.

Even the non-Mopars have names:

Ordell, a '84 Olds 98 Regency, after the Samuel L. Jackson character in "Foxy Brown." He's tan under a brown vinyl roof, and SWMBO's ride of choice, since #1 son wrecked

The Wide Ride, also an '84 98 Regency, a plush old boat that got me started (back) on my interest in big old cars. We had just put a 350 Rocket V8 in the Wide Ride when Jamie was T-boned at an intersection. Wide Ride was beige over beige.

Daughter's white '93 Pontiac is Rob Grand Am, a true road warrior (she has a 180-mile commute every day).

Son drives a white '85 BMW 318i coupe called "Shultz."

I was asked to make a list of all the cars I've owned not too long ago and came up with over 20. There was a Chevy p/u named "Mr. Ranger" because it was white over green (looked like a Forest Service truck) and a Mazda p/u called "Sunflower" (he was yellow) and many more, including some I don't remember well and parts cars that were only around long enough to be stripped and never had names.

Another good question is "Is your car male or female?" Silent Bob and Hal (my regular drivers) are definitely male, and Kate is female, of course, but it occurs to me that like ships, Imperials may be female in spirit even though they have male names (e.g. ships with names like USS John F. Kennedy, still a "she" to the sailors who crew her). Imps are certainly big enough to share some conventions with their sea-going kin!

Not a lot of repair/maintenance/resto information in this thread, but it's fun to read about others' car's personalities!

Best regards,

Jay

Jay King
Roanoke, Virginia