Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: IML: California Historic "Black Plate" Bill Signed Into Law

If it works out like the way it is in Washington State, you will still be able to tell if the plate is "original" by looking at the title.

In our state, we can pay a fee to license an old car FOR GOOD by paying a special fee, and using a plate that matches the year of the car, including the correct sticky tab. The agencies have a book with color pictures of the plates and tabs that were used each year. An example is the plate that says WASH 63 on the bottom is the correct plate for a 1963 Imperial, while the same plate with a '64 tab is the correct plate for a '64 Imperial. When a car is re-titled this way, the plate number becomes the equipment number on the title and is easy to spot. The car can only be licensed this way once it reaches 30 years old, but has nothing to do with where it came from.

Here, a '63 Imperial that was bought new here would only otherwise have the original 1963 plate if the car had been stored and the license not kept current. In order to keep the car current, the plates would have to be replaced every few years when their style changed. A third owner could verify the car was always here by tracing the title back through the system, again by paying a fee to the state.

Thankfully, the state did not demand the old plates back during renewal years where new plates were required, so eventually the original plates could be put back on the car if it was licensed as a "restored plate" car once it celebrated its 30th birthday.

Paul W.