Re: IML: Aluminum Heads on an Imperial 413/440

Re: IML: Aluminum Heads on an Imperial 413/440

What are your goals with the engine, in terms of performance?

For mild performance, the stock head are pretty good actually. But if these need to be rebuilt, you might as well spend the money on alu heads in my opinion. But without flowing and porting the heads, and other performance mods (more camlift + duration), you wont really get the true potential from alu heads, although they are better than the stock ones. But alu heads hae a definite weight advantage.

If you're only concerned about cooling issues, invest firts in your cooling system, e.g. a new radiator/waterpump/etc...

Regarding the valve seats, you can have hardened exhaust seats machined into any stock head as well.