From: santiam oregon <santiamoregon@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:47 pm
Subject: Re: IML: Aluminum Heads on an Imperial 413/440 ???

Or you can plan to be buried in your Imperial (or at least live in it) as I do.

ha ha

I recently refused to sell my 67 Buick Riviera (which needs to go to finance more

resto on the Imperial) to a guy who proposed 20" hot wheels and awful paint. I

felt it was the least I could do while I am still alive, given I spent mucho time and $

getting it back to shape.

PAUL WENTINK <randalpark@xxxxxxx> wrote:

All of my Imperials/cars are strictly stock, with the exception of
adding radial tires where possible. That seems to be my only concession
to modernity, as I really like the way that they feel on the road.
Mechanically, I am satisfied with having the original heads rebuilt
with hardened valves and valve seats, just because today's gas isn't
what it should be for our cars. Power wise, even in de-tuned form I
have found the performance of any Imperial in decent running shape to
be more than adequate.

That said, if ones desire is to turn the thing into a hot rod, and be
able to inspire "ooo's and ahhh's" by opening the hood to show off
polished aluminum and chrome, so be it. I have seen Imperials with 20'
wheels, flames painted on the sides and professionally done wild
colored furry interiors.. That is the prerogative of the owner. I
remember hearing past old timers (now I am one myself) stating things
like "too bad about the way they did this or that".

I think we need to be tolerant of what others want to do, especially if
we want to keep the interest in our cars alive. These days most kids
don't grow up dreaming about cars. Our culture is such that now the
emphasis is on something very different, video games, I think. Anyway,
my point is that if souping up an Imperial is someone's idea of fun,
they should be supported whether the purists agree or not. Nobody is
saying that we have to do these things to our own cars. The only part
that scares me a little is that once I am gone, and the cars move on to
their new owners, maybe some of my venerated original cars will end up
that way themselves, but I guess by then it won't matter much to me
anyway.

Paul W.