From: sjak brak
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 6:00 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Aluminum Heads on an Imperial 413/440

The weight advantage on our cars is mainly the ease of installation; for the same reason, I never put back iron intakes on my cars. If I pull one, an alu intake goes back.

And come to think of it, now there are also alu heads which are identical to stock heads on the outside, and will work with stock intakes and exhaust manifolds, check www.440source.com

Other brands alu heads will require some or more modifications. Indy heads wont work with stock intakes, Edelbrock heads do but have spark plugs unaccessible if youre not using headers, B1 are full out racing heads, etc. But if youre into serious performance, aftermarket heads are a must. The flow from stock heads is limited. Also, rebuilding a worn out 40 year old pair of cilinder heads will cost more than a set of new Edelbrock performer heads (depending on where you live, in Europe, decent machine work is very expensive). And remember that the 915 and 906 heads were very fine performance heads in the sixties, but Big Block Mopar technology steadily advanced since then.

But on a stock engine, alu heads offer no real improvement. For blocking the exhaust crossover, there's a nice valleypan gasket set from felpro, cheap and very easy to install.