IML: Total Contact Brake Bleeding

Paul Wrote:

My '62 had a great deal of pedal travel, until I replaced the front
backing plate assemblies. Everything else had been done. I noticed that
upon adjustment, the pedal was high and firm, but within a few stops,
it would go back to its old ways. No amount of bleeding or adjustment
seemed to correct this. I finally decided that the adjusters were worn
and backing off, so I replaced the backing plates. That seemed to
correct the trouble. I believe the backing plates can be rebuilt, but
so far I have managed to replace them with good used ones.

If the brake shoe adjusters are not holding, it may be time to replace
the flat rubber washers that provide the friction against the dust shield/
back-up plates and brake shoe support plates.  I had to do that on one of
the rear brake assemblies on my '62 and it restored proper operation.  After
this many years it is possible for the rubber washers to have disintegrated
and fallen out.  I had one washer that fell out when I removed the support
plate assembly for cleaning.  If replacing washers fails to restore proper
operation, then it may be time to replace the brake shoe support plate assembly
and the dust shield/back-up plate.

Joe
begin:vcard
fn:Joe Strickland
n:Strickland;Joe
adr;dom:;;1021 Vaughan Lane;Tioga;Texasw;76271
email;internet:jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxx
version:2.1
end:vcard