Re: IML: Thermostats

> Subject: RE: IML: thermostats
> From: Ken Lang <imperialken@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> To me this sounds like a thermostat that won't completely close.
>  If the
> thermostat closes completely you could have a radiator as big as
> a school
> bus and the engine would still reach normal operating temperature.
>  For
> those who live in freezing cold climate this very important
> otherwise (as
> mentioned) no or low heat in the passenger compartment.

Nah, I tried cutting off the radiator entirely (as an experiment), and the same problem occurred. In very cold weather, at low speeds, the engine actually air-cooled. I presume that *eventually* the engine would have built up to operating temperature, even at idle - it took way too long, though.

   That police car had a big transmission cooler and an oil cooler, though.

    -Kle.
    '69 Crown 4DHT (in mothballs)