Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:02 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 1960 torqueflite question

Put the lines into a large container while they are
disconnected.

Re-connect the radiator and fill with coolant.

Start the car while a buddy watches the lines (going
into a glass container) or you use a mirror to do so.

If fluid comes out, you have no problem.

Careful not to run the trans dry and to replace
dropped fluid.

If nothing comes out, you have a problem.
I'd replace the lines or blow them out first, then on
to why there's no pressure if that's the symptom.

Service Manual may say different.
That's just what I'd do if I didn't research it first.

-K

--- Rob van der Es <r.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi List,

Last month I pulled the radiator of my car to have
it re-cored. So far, so
good. The radiator is like new again but something
is worrying me..

When I unscrewed the cooler lines from the radiator
I noticed that no ATF
was dripping out. I also expected a flood of oil
coming from the cooler unit
on the radiator but nope..

Ofcourse I am aware that this could be a dangerous
situation for my tranny!
Heat is one of the biggest enemies I am sure.
So what could be wrong here?

There is almost no dripping from the cooler lines
while they are hanging
free now (maybe that is logical, cause the engine
isn't running so no
pressure will be built up).
Ofcourse the cooler lines could be blocked, that
would be the most obvious
reason. As soon as the weather permits I will remove
those cooler lines from
the tranny and I will clean them out then with
solvent and airpressure.

But if the lines are open, what other options do I
have to check for?
On the repair pages of our website I noticed that
member Philippe mentioned
that when you have cold oil cooler lines (and thus
no oil is flowing through
those lines) the regulator or the converter valve
might be stucked.
Philippe was talking about a 57 torqueflite, does
this also makes sense for
a 60 torqueflite?

Btw, the tranny is still shifting perfectly through
all gears, nice gentle
shifts (but not too soft) that only are getting a
little firmer when the
engine and tranny are at operating temperature.
The shifts are smoother with a cold engine, what
could be explained by the
fact that no oil is flowing through the oil cooler.
The oil is clean, pink,
and smelling fresh btwn (not burned).

Any thoughts what might be wrong here?

Thanks,

Robert
1960 Imperial Crown

response will be
shared with everyone. Private messages (and
attachments) for the
Administrators should be sent to
iml.webmonster@xxxxxxxxx
To UN-SUBSCRIBE, go to