Re: IML: Fwd: '56 Crown Imperial - removal of rear wheel hub

Re: IML: Fwd: '56 Crown Imperial - removal of rear wheel hub

You will need a drum puller to remove that drum.

see Ebay Item number: 250192592282

Some people buy one and then get two extra legs from
the MFG if offered to spread the load to all 5 lugs on
the drum - a good idea.

Drum is squeezed onto the axle and will not come off
without such a tool.  It just won't.  Many truck
service places will have a heavy duty version that's
great for Imperials.

Technique:

Different people do things differently.

What works for me:

Grease the threads of the tool generously.
Use a socket and a pneumatic impact wrench (NOT the
dogbone part and a hammer).

The impact wrench will do what a hammer does, only
thousands of times faster and far more safely.

If the drum does not pop right off, apply pressure
repeatedly every 15 minutes and leave in that state
overnight.

You can also whang the drum with a heavy hammer.
Careful not to crack the drum casting.  One person
pulling the trigger on the air wrench and one to knock
the drum a few times is my advice.

DO NOT LUBRICATE THE DRUM OR AXLE PRIOR TO RE-ASSY.
Re-assemble clean and dry, removing any rust
beforehand with emory cloth.

Good luck.

Every drum I've ever tried using the air wrench has
popped right off with the above methods, even on a car
that was outside in a feild for 30 years.  A few
others here have spent weeks cursing at their frozen
stuff, so this can be a difficult process.

-Kenyon