From: Hall, Marc F <marc.f.hall@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 4:38 pm
Subject: RE: IML: Rare

Hi from soggy WA State,

Despite our beauties being labeled "Boats" on occasion, I have yet to see an Imperial navigating our flooded motorways yet !!!

Rare implies exceptional quality or value, scarce signifies insufficient quantity.

A huge contingent of our club would probably agree on the statement that Imperials generally met the exceptional quality measure, and value is of course in the eye of the beholder.  Built to last comes to mind.

Were insufficient Imperials produced annually to meet the demand curve of the adoring public?  Did Chrysler to manufacture the "perfect number" of Imperials (supply curve) to intersect the market demand curve each year?  I have no clue, but the answer would address the scarcity facts.

FYI: Biz school case study of Porsche's supply demand curves indicated that Porsche makes just enough of each model to maximize their profit margin, not satisfy demand.  Too few produced miss potential revenue, too many dilute the long term brand image and actually lower overall profits.  Porsche does not want to fully appease the market "thirst" for their unique products.

You can learn a lot from the auto industry!!!

Marc

Regional Director
Customer Support Program Management
Boeing Commercial Aircraft Services